SO here it is friends! My first ever batch of jarred goods straight from the garden (well except the green peppers which we had to buy.) On Thursday my Mother in Law came over to school me in canning. I talked too much and pretty much didn't know what I was doing so Mom H did most of the work. She brought all her supplies and what we didn't have we ran to the store to get (only three trips, not too shaby hahaha)
Mom H brought her hot water bath thingy and we processed the jars this way instead of by using a pressure cooker. I am extremely excited to have learned this and I am hoping that when I must do it on my own that I will be able to be successful.
Proud of my canning funnel :) Don't you like how cute it is?
The finished product! Salsa, which is amazing! and tomato sauce (didn't taste that it was very tomatoey and I am not a fan of straight up tomatoes.) Tomato juice which I have not tried but Matthew said was delish! and some Saurkraut that is currently still fermenting. Yes yes I ended up breaking my rule and I am fermenting things on my counter :) LOL! I will let you all know how it tastes as we break into them this fall and winter.
Matthew said it brought back alot of good memories and I enjoyed chatting the day away with Mom H and learning a new skill. I have about two more times of being able to harvest and jar things I think...unless something terrible happens but that is the plan.
Nicely done Sara!! I have to say, pressure cooking can be annoying anyway. I remember many hours at mom's house with the cooker going at it with it's noise... Anyway, your product looks beautiful! I hope you guys enjoy all that goodness! =]
ReplyDelete:) I didn't get to use the pressure cooker this time BUT maybe if I do meats or something in the future. I think that the best part is that it was one of those beautiful passing of knowlege moments and well it is a labor of love then and I appreciated the time your mom took to show me and to just love me. I hope I can show her that too
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you Sara, and so very pleased you got to spend the day with your mother-in-law and learn something new! Now that is a GREAT DAY. The tomatoes and salsa look great.
Deletelove you, Mom T
I love you too Mom!
DeleteWow, your garden was amazing!!!! Don't worry about having to buy peppers... We only ever succeed with tomatoes OR peppers in our garden. Last year it was tomatoes and this year we have jalapeƱos coming out our ears :). So how is the fermenting coming along? :D hahaha!
ReplyDelete:) it was good. The peppers were ready for the next batch so our second batch of salsa was completely home grown!
ReplyDeleteThe jalapenos are plentiful this year for sure!
The fermenting is complete. LOL